Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org or 207-326-0776 (phone monitored weekends beginning in mid-June and daily in July/August)
General Guidelines and Registration
The BHYC junior sailing program includes daily lessons at five skill levels for sailors ages 8 and up, a C420 racing team for more experienced racers, an Optimist racing team for younger racers and private lessons for adults and children of all ages. For detailed descriptions, see below.
To register for weekly classes, please follow the guidelines and use the form link below.
PLEASE NOTE THAT THE FIRST TIME A PARTICIPANT IS REGISTERED FOR THE SEASON, MEDICAL INFORMATION MUST BE PROVIDED DURING THE REGISTRATION PROCESS. Sailors will not be allowed on the water without completed medical information on the registration form.
Please read the following before starting the registration process:
- Registration is conducted online and credit card payment will be required at time of registration
- Each child participating in the program must have filled out and submitted the appropriate registration form, including medical information, prior to participating in the program
- Students will be required to sign a code of conduct document and their parents will be required to sign a Covid-19 protocols agreement at the start of their first class.
- Students must be at least 8 years old or have completed 2nd grade to sign up for Ballast class.
- To take full advantage of class time, we ask that you respect the schedule below, and let us know if you’ll be running late or will not be attending class.
- All participants must follow current regulations for the state of Maine prior to the start of their session. For further information on additional Covid-19 protocols, please see our FAQ page
JSP Weekly Schedule
- Harbor Rookies: Friday 9:30-10:45 AM or 11 AM-12:15 PM
- Ballast: Monday-Thursday 8:15-10:15 AM
- Apprentice Helmsman: Monday-Thursday 8:15-10:15 AM
- Helmsman: Monday-Thursday 1:30-4 PM
- Skipper: Monday-Thursday 10:30 AM – 12:30 PM
- Senior Skipper: Monday-Thursday 10:30 AM- 12:30 PM
- Opti Race Team: Tuesday and Thursday 10:30 AM – 12:30 PM
- 420 Race Team: Monday, Wednesday, Thursday 1:30 – 4:30 PM
Sailing lessons are offered free of charge on a SPACE-AVAILABLE basis to children who live in Brooksville year-round. The student MUST be a resident of Brooksville to participate. Click here to register a town of Brooksville resident.
Come prepared: We come to lessons prepared, and our sailors will have a lot more fun if they are prepared as well. Sailors should come prepared for whatever the weather may be with:
- whistle (provided free at a sailor’s first week of lessons, replacements available for $5)
- water bottle
- close-toed shoes (no flip-flops!)
- bathing suit
- warm layers and/or a raincoat, as needed
New Sailors: Welcome to Buck’s Harbor! All new sailors must start the program through Ballast so the instructors can evaluate their sailing ability and place them in the program at a suitable level if applicable. Evaluation can also be done through private lessons scheduled in advance, see below.
New sailors are required to take a brief swim test in the harbor. Along with returning sailors, they will discuss and sign a code of conduct during the first week of lessons.
Private lessons: $35/hour, by appointment only. Lessons must be booked through the JSP Director at least 48 hours in advance. Fee paid upon arrival for lesson.
We look forward to seeing you and growing the future generation of BHYC sailors. Happy sailing!
2022 JSP Staff
- Senior Director: Jack Rayden
- Junior Director: Mercer Sullivan
- Race Coach: James Knowlton
- Instructors: Alex Hallstrom, Jonathan Sonnenfeld, Charlie Rayden, Phil Knowlton, Ethan Lisle
BHYC Junior Sailing Class Descriptions
Harbor Rookies: For ages 6-7, an introduction to sailing in Buck’s Harbor. During each session, our instructors join our youngest sailors in the boat for a long journey to the Buck’s Harbor Marina to pick up a few snacks, then sail back to the mooring. A great way to become familiar with our Widgeon fleet and the harbor. In the event of thunderstorms, Harbor Rookies will be cancelled. Meets Friday mornings from 9:30-10:45 AM or 11 AM – 12:15 PM.
Ballast: Ages 8 and up. The first level of our program encourages a love of sailing, learning the basics. This class is taught primarily on O’Day Widgeons with an instructor aboard or close by in a coach boat. Ballast will take place regardless of weather and meets Monday-Thursday 8:15-10:15.
Apprentice Helmsman: Upon completing Ballast, sailors work on improving their skills in groups in Widgeons and solo in Optimist Prams with instructors providing guidance from a coach boat. Advanced sailors are eligible for the Opti Race team with coach permission. Apprentice Helmsman meets Monday-Thursday 8:15-10:15.
Helmsman: As an introduction to both cruising and racing, Helmsman students sail in the afternoon, often with higher winds, to focus on the finer points of boat control. Taught in Widgeons, and Optis. Helmsman racers are eligible for the Opti Race team. Helmsman meets Monday-Thursday 1:30-4:00.
Skipper: Upon graduating into Skipper, sailors learn to sail on the C420, the international standard racing dinghy for sailors in high school, college, and beyond. This level is not racers only, as Skipper sailors will also practice navigation and other big boat skills. Skipper meets Monday-Thursday 10:30-12:30.
Senior Skipper: The final level in the program, Senior Skipper students focus on valuable skills for both cruisers and racers, learning the physics behind sailing, advanced navigation, singlehanding, and more. Taught in C420s and larger keel boats. Senior Skipper meets Monday-Thursday 10:30-12:30.
Opti Race Team: Sailors in Helmsman may participate in the Opti Race Team. The program also welcomes advanced Apprentice Helmsman sailors with coach permission. As an introduction to racing, Opti Race Team focuses on skills applicable to racing in any fleet. Opti Race Team meets Tuesday and Thursday 10:30-12:30.
420 Race Team: Sailors in Skipper or above may participate in the 420 Race Team. Race team meets Monday, Wednesday and Thursday 1:30-4:30.